Jump to Navigation

28-year-old father arrested after getting behind on child support

Every parent wants the best for his or her child. When an Ohio mother or father is required to pay child support to help finance the care of his or her children, they usually comply. However, sometimes a parent will fall on hard times and is unable to meet the child support payments owed. When this happens, the legal consequences can be severe.

Whether one parent chooses to report the other for failing to pay child support is usually a personal decision. However, the court may go after a delinquent parent even if the other parent says nothing. Because falling behind on these kinds of payments is viewed so gravely by the Ohio court system, anyone who is not up to date on payments, should try to take legal action to prevent themselves from getting in trouble.

In fact, it is not uncommon to hear about the arrest of a parent who fails to pay child support, not just in Ohio, but all over the country. Earlier this month, for example, a 28-year-old man was arrested in New Jersey for being almost $13,000 behind on support payments. Police arrested him in a parking lot and then transferred him to the sheriff's department.

In order to prevent this unfortunate kind of scenario, a parent can file a petition to have his or her child support payment reduced in the event of a job loss or other extraneous expenses that prevent the payment from being made. One of the worst things to do is to ignore the problem. This is when it only gets worst and a delinquent Ohio parent could end up getting arrested.

Source: nj.com, "Failure to pay $12,716 in child support leads to arrest of 28-year-old Mansfield Township man," Warren Reporter, June 18, 2013

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Contact William Geary

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.

Visit Our Divorce Law Website Subscribe to This Blog's Feed

Our Office Location

Suite 101 Waterford Tower 155 West Main Street Columbus, OH 43215 | Phone: 614-228-1968 | Fax: 614-228-7630